Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Singapore I C..Changi War Museum

Hi  Guys,

How are you all doing. Its really really long time that I returning to my space my world which I will never destroy.Well do you Guys Know Why I named it like that ? .hmm...some other day.

So that I am holidaying in Singapore I thought I will jot down Singapore I see and I feel.
Today I went to the Changi war Museum.
For some of you who feel museums are boring place to go, first advice take out some time and go alone. you will like it. Advice two if you don't like it keep going till you like. Singapore has a very well connected public transportation system.
I got into a Double-Decker public Bus (SBS No.2), from my Hotel . Getting into a bus here is little different than in India. I saw a few co-passenger putting money and getting e-tickets, others using E-cards near the driver seat . I just went in. Once the bus started I asked the driver "how much I need to pay?" He replied "put S$1.30 into the ticketing machine". Thank God I had coins.

Well I got the ticket and I asked my one and only co-passenger in the lower Decker to tell me where to get down, the old man did help me.While getting down I got an unexpected compliment from the bus driver "you are very cute!" . Flattered..I thanked him in response.

Photography in the museum is a BIG NO, but you can take pics of the chapel replica and outside.

 "Hi"..I was greeted by a familiar face in the museum entrance. She was an Indian who didn't believe that I am also an Indian.I took the audio guide package (S$8 dollars).Entry to the museum is FREE

This Museum has 25 sections and shaped as U and the chapel is inside this U. To me it look like some Naga (tribe from North East India) Hut. I really felt I have seen this type of chapel somewhere else before but can't recollect.

Hey Guys..I am not going to give details of the museum ..that you guys must feel yourself. Remember I am just jotting my experience.
In memory of millions who suffered in WWII


1. As an Indian was interested to learn that all the major Indian troops may it be the Gurkas rifles , Rajputa , Jat regiment, Punjab, Royal Garwal , Hyderabad, Mysore regiment , Baluch , Indian Medical Services all participate in the battle for Singapore. Even my Grand Father (Mom's Dad) went to Burma as an allied force to fight the Japanese. He flung the matriculation exams and run away from home to join British Raj Army (his story some other day)

2. Another thing that interested me was the war -map (WWII) of South-East Asia which include India as well. Bangladesh was a part of India but I see North-East of India together with Burma and Tibet not as a part of India. No comments just an observation.Loads of Indian POW were used as labourer in the Thailand-Burma Railway construction. Malaria and Beri Beri were as bigger enemy as the Japanese were.

3. Human Mind is Genius. Imagine the level of Intelligentsia the POW used broom to get the radio signal from BBC Calcutta without letting the Japanese know about it. Receiver would scribble the news and pass it to fellow inmates.In most Inhuman condition the in-mates started teaching thermodynamics , Mathematics and Medicines to fellow in-mates. They started what is know as Changi University. By the time Japanese surrender 400 different peoples (Chinese, Indian, Malay, Australian) learn to read and write

4. Secret messages to the loved one in a Quilt

5. Mural arts by a POW with chronic dysentery. The mural of nativity shows birth of Jesus and people from different racial origin as the kind men who blessed Jesus.Even the "OX" in the mural is of Asian origin which is makes it so unique. Its a strong Signal of togetherness to build a strong nation as Singapore is today.

6. Musical band and dramatics by POW

7. Salute to thousands of women who suffered.I get goosebumps when I heard a lady POW who was treated a comfort women by Japanese.

8. Imagine 9 feet by 12 feet prison cell shared by in-mates, with just one small concrete slab in center as bed and small Chinese style lavatory within.

9. Last but not the least.. I really like the idea of  "BANANA MONEY". This is a lesson for all of us who running after money leaving behind all the morals and humanity.
Here is the story behind the Banana Money..when Japanese came and invade Singapore & Malay from the Brits. they were in shortage of money, food and resources. So the Japanese issued its own dollars forced it on to the Singaporeans and other Asian nation under its captivity. Its named as such because of the motifs of banana trees on 10 dollar banknote. But once the Japanese surrender the dollar was nothing more than waste paper..
So guys Stop running after Banana Money ..

your's correspondent signing off for today..waiting for your reviews and feedbacks...

2 comments:

  1. Nice :) :) once you are back want to hear it again in your words

    ReplyDelete
  2. madam jee -- ''storage' nahi -- 'shortage'

    ReplyDelete